Review of Mistress of the Sun: A Novel

11:54 AM

by Sandra Gulland
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Touchstone (June 3, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 074329887X
ISBN-13: 978-0743298872

This book is a delightful blend of fact and fiction depicting the life of Louise de la Vallière (1644–1710), who was a mistress to Louis XIV, France's Sun King. Opening with a glimpse into Louise's life, we see her losing her father early in her life and after his death she is shipped off to a convent run by her aunt Sister Angelique to live.

When her mother Francoise remarries a marquis, Louise goes to live with them and it is there that she has her first encounter with the young King Louis. She secures a position at court, where she again encounters the King. At this point, he has married for political reasons, but has yet to take a mistress because of his religious ideals. As the pair is thrown together over and over, their love for each other grows until their passion for one another is undeniable. As they wade through the intrigues of the court, eventually their love for each other becomes public knowledge, but there is a price for that love.

This was such an interesting peek into the lives of historical figures that always helps to bring that era alive. I did feel like early in the book it was moving a bit slowly, and then sped up almost too much when she goes to court. I found myself wanting a bit more depth at that point in the story, since it seemed that was where the focus of the story was.

All in all I really enjoyed this book. There were a few things as noted above, but they weren't enough to put it down. I read this book in about 2 days. This is definitely a book I'd recommend to everyone.

Thanks to Sandra for letting me participate in this tour for her new book!

And I have 1 copy to give away. This is a brand new copy that I have for one lucky reader.

Leave a comment for me and let me know what it is you like about Historical Fiction/Historical Romance. I'll pick a winner on 4/24.

This contest is open to the U.S. only (sorry I can't afford to ship it elsewhere)

Digg!
Add to Technorati Favorites

You Might Also Like

6 comments

Powered by Blogger.
Every year we lose more people to AIDS. It hasn't disappeared and it's not going away anytime soon. I urge you to seek out and support your local AIDS Organizations. Encourage everyone you know to practice safe sex and to get tested once a year. Even if you don't think you are at risk, get tested. I didn't think I was at risk either, and I almost died before I was diagnosed.
Blog Directory

Followers

Grab My Badge!

Grab My Badge!

Blog Archive


Would You Like To Be Added To My Blogroll? Email Me!

Stop AIDS

Stop AIDS
Stop AIDS in the US

Ratings by outbrain

Blog Roll

www.momcentral.com

Smart Solutions for Everyday Moms

Protected by Copyscape Original Content Checker
As Featured On EzineArticles
Blogcritics: news and reviews
Custom Search

I'm #2395

Creative Commons License Marta's Meanderings by Marta Hoelscher is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
blog search directory
Get Free Shots from Snap.com

Subscribe to my blog!

Subscribe to Marta's Meanderings

Twitter Button from twitbuttons.com TweetIt from HubSpot

PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS

I'd be happy to review your book. I post at many locations in addition to here on my blog. Please CONTACT me with any questions or concerns. I'll look forward to hearing from you!


web statistic

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Alltop. How the hell did that happen?

Flickr Images