Review of The Marriage Turnaround

9:34 AM

How Thinking Differently About Your Relationship Can Change Everything
by Mitch Temple

Paperback: 176 pages
Publisher: Moody Publishers (January 1, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0802450148
ISBN-13: 978-0802450142


Description (Publisher Website)
What if you were sitting in a room with all sorts of struggling couples, and you were one of them? What would it take to turn your marriage around in a short period of time? Mitch Temple says it would take a change of mind, of heart, and of practice, all of which could be done by two people willing to discard the old myths and put on the new truth.

Mitch has been a family therapist for many years and is on staff with Focus on the Family, bringing his counseling expertise and humor to the table for you to munch on. Real-life stories and biblical solutions will encourage readers that their marriage can turn around! Sample chapters:

• “But I didn’t marry my soulmate!”
• “I can change my spouse...can’t I?”

Review

This is a great resource for all married couples. Whether you've been married for 5 years or 20, whether your relationship is pretty good or on the rocks, this book will have something for you in it.

According to Mr. Temple, there are "marriage myths that can make a couple miserable and mess up any good relationship". For years we've been fed the belief that we all deserve to be happy no matter what, that we have to find our soul mate, happiness is everything and then my personal favorite is "I shouldn't have to ask" (that's the mind reader theory). This book will help you readjust unrealistic expectations and replace them with more realistic ones.

This book looks at each of these and more and dives into them. Busting the myths helps people realize that maybe we're expecting too much and that maybe we're too focused on ourselves.

To me what really struck a chord in this book was the common sense applied here. As I've told my kids over and over, marriage is hard. It takes work to sustain a marriage. We've been fed the 'fairy-tale ideal' for way too long - the idea that after we're married we'll automatically live happily ever after. Wrong. I've also told my kids that there are always three sides to a marriage - hers, his and the truth. This book is like the best friend who will look objectively at your relationship and give you some truths.

This book would be great as a couples group book. It's also one that would be good to revisit at different points in your marriage. Personally, I'm going to give a copy to each of my kids. I have one who's been married for a couple of years now and one who's just getting married. I wish this book had been around when I was married.

Author Website
Glitter Text Generator
Purchase From Publisher

<span class=
Add to Technorati Favorites

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Powered by Blogger.
Every year we lose more people to AIDS. It hasn't disappeared and it's not going away anytime soon. I urge you to seek out and support your local AIDS Organizations. Encourage everyone you know to practice safe sex and to get tested once a year. Even if you don't think you are at risk, get tested. I didn't think I was at risk either, and I almost died before I was diagnosed.
Blog Directory

Followers

Grab My Badge!

Grab My Badge!

Blog Archive


Would You Like To Be Added To My Blogroll? Email Me!

Stop AIDS

Stop AIDS
Stop AIDS in the US

Ratings by outbrain

Blog Roll

www.momcentral.com

Smart Solutions for Everyday Moms

Protected by Copyscape Original Content Checker
As Featured On EzineArticles
Blogcritics: news and reviews
Custom Search

I'm #2395

Creative Commons License Marta's Meanderings by Marta Hoelscher is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
blog search directory
Get Free Shots from Snap.com

Subscribe to my blog!

Subscribe to Marta's Meanderings

Twitter Button from twitbuttons.com TweetIt from HubSpot

PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS

I'd be happy to review your book. I post at many locations in addition to here on my blog. Please CONTACT me with any questions or concerns. I'll look forward to hearing from you!


web statistic

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Alltop. How the hell did that happen?

Flickr Images