Crossed Out Virtual Book Tour August ‘10

1:31 AM

Crossed Out
by Kim Baccellia

Paperback: 212 pages
Publisher: Lachesis Publishing (May 17, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1897562683
ISBN-13: 978-1897562680

Join Kim Baccellia, author of the young adult fiction novel, Crossed Out (Lachesis Publishing), as she virtually tours the blogosphere in August ‘10 on her second virtual book tour with Pump Up Your Book!

**Thanks to Pump Up Your Book Promotions for including me in this tour and thank you to the author for providing a copy of the book to review!**

 About Crossed Out
Following the light can’t be that hard, right?  So why don’t the dead just do it and leave Stephanie Steward alone?  However nothing is ever as simple as it should be as Stephanie learns when her hidden ‘gift’ becomes more than a nuisance, quickly turning into a liability.  If she can’t learn to trust someone with her secret, the world as she knows it will go to hell.  Literally.  But if she doesn’t choose wisely, she might just end up learning firsthand how hard it is to follow that light.  Because she’s next on the list to be crossed out.

My Thoughts
While this is technically a YA book, I have to say that I was glued to it!  I was enthralled by this story and had a hard time putting it to the side.  The story is a roller coaster of non-stop action and adventure.  It's sure to keep younger readers with their nose in the book, and I have to say this adult reader had the same problem. Another thing that I appreciated about this book was that it didn't focus so much on the demons and satanic side of things.  It was an element of the story, but the focus was really about more positive things like friendship and caring.  I don't know that there was anything I didn't like about this story other than I'd like more of it.  Great book and I'll be looking for the sequel!

Read the excerpt!
I couldn’t deal with Mom and her holier-than-thou attitude about decorating crosses. If she had any clue why I needed to do this, maybe she’d back off. I pushed my hair aside and looked down at the wooden beams. My box of paints and Sharpie pens lay close to my side. I had to get the design just right. Roses, or something plainer? It didn’t help that it was so cold in the garage. Why was it so hard to help the dead go to the other side? It’d be a whole lot easier if they told me what they wanted on their crosses. Dead girl comes, asks for help, and tells me she’s into pink roses. Yes, that would make my job a lot easier.
But one thing I’ve learned is, life isn’t easy. Cliché, but true.
Figures, this was how I’d spend my time on a Saturday – sitting cross-legged on the floor in our garage, worrying about finishing a cross for some dead girl. In a few hours, Mom would drag me to Mrs. Swanson’s house for a sleepover. I didn’t really have time to decorate a cross.
And each time I tried to sketch, thoughts of the meeting drove any thought of the design out of my mind. I mean, how could I even think of helping others – albeit dead ones – when my own life was such a disaster?
I didn’t want to go. But Mom was using the whole sleepover as a way to get me to be around Hillary, whom she thought would be such a good example for me. But I couldn’t tell my mother the truth – I hated Hillary. Yes, we’d once been close, but it wasn’t as if we were BFF anymore. No, Hillary made sure of that when I’d been stupid enough to trust her with my secret. A secret that was better left hidden. No one believed the dead could talk to you.
According to my last counselor, the only way that could happen is through serious Steven Spielberg special effects.
When I admitted to seeing one of my dead friends, he didn’t freak. No, he did something worse. He ended up suggesting to my parents that I needed to see a counselor – for serious psychological help. I mean, only crazy people see the dead.
And, I hate to say this, but his anti-anxiety and antidepressants don’t keep them away. Sometimes I wished the drug cocktail could just erase them. It sure would make my life a lot easier.
Sighing, I decided to go with pink roses. What girl didn’t like pink?
A sudden coldness permeated the garage. Jeez, did Dad forget to close the back door again?
I pulled my hoodie tighter. Working in near darkness was bad enough without the drop in temperature.
Whoosh. Whoosh. Whoosh.
I dropped my black Sharpie.
Over in the corner of the garage loose papers and dust whirled around – a funnel growing larger and larger.
A light shone next to Mom’s holiday plastic boxes, illuminating some Christmas ornaments, tinsel, and wrapping paper.
“Stephanie…careful….”
The childish voice grew louder. A chill went up my back. I know that voice!
I blinked once and when I opened my eyes I saw the girl. Her long dirty blond hair was clumped into two pigtails, and her bikini top and cut-off Levis brought back memories of the YMCA pool three years ago where I’d spent my summers.
Allison!
Omigod! I pushed the wooden cross aside. A tingling sensation burned through my whole body. Once I helped a dead person cross over, that was supposed to end the whole rescue scenario. The bright light appeared and poof! Well, not this time.
I scooted away, over the rough, cold pavement. This didn’t make sense. Though I was used to visits from the “other” side, having Allison reappear scared me. I didn’t know what to do.
“Allison, why are you here?” My voice broke.
She took a step toward me. Her lips trembled.
“Careful…danger….”
Danger? Did that mean her murderer was out of prison? Just the thought of that perv touching or killing someone else made me want to hurl.
“No… another….”
Someone else?
“Allison, what are you trying to tell me?” I slowly got up off the ground. “Is the guy who killed you, out?”
Allison shook her head. It still freaked me out how much the dead looked like us, not fuzzy or semi-transparent like they show on TV. The ones I helped still looked the way they had when they’d been killed, complete with all the blood and stuff.
Yet here was Allison. She should be in Heaven singing in one of those heavenly choirs Mom always talked about.
I bit my hangnail, ripping it off. I couldn’t deal with this. Not now.
“Careful….”
The wind picked up, tossing loose papers everywhere. None of this affected Allison.
I had so many questions to ask her. I missed her. I knew she’d understand me, even when others – including my mom – were clueless.
“Allison, what’s it like to be…?”
The wind howled drowning out her answer.
And just as quickly, Allison left.
I felt as if something had punched me in the stomach. I pushed back the sickness threatening to escape. What was going on? But even worse, I didn’t know what to do. One thing had been made perfectly clear. The rules had all changed and no one bothered to give me the new players’ guide.

Watch the trailer!


Interview With Kim About Crossed Out 
 
About Kim Baccellia
Kim Baccellia has always been a sucker for the paranormal. She blames it on her families’ love for such things such as having picnics at cemeteries, visiting psychics, and reading her mother’s copies of the daily horoscope. She even had her own horoscope column in middle school, which was a big hit! Kim’s other works include the poem, “My Father”, which appears in the anthology Mind Mutations, published by The Sun Rising Press. Her essay about the adoption of her son, Finally, Our Turn, appeared in Adoptive Families magazine. Her YA multicultural fantasy, Earrings of Ixtumea, is published by Virtual Tales and available now at Amazon. A member of SCBWI, Kim is currently writing the sequel to Crossed Out, her latest paranormal young adult fiction novel. She’s also putting the finishing touches on an upper MG fantasy No Goddesses Allowed. She lives in Southern California with her husband and son.
You can visit her website at www.kim-baccellia.com.

banner bar

Crossed Out Tour Schedule

banner bar 
Monday, August 2
Book spotlighted at Examiner
Tuesday, August 3
Interviewed at Review From Here
Wednesday, August 4
Interviewed at As the Pages Turn
Book spotlighted at Between the Covers
Thursday, August 5
Interviewed at Literarily Speaking
Friday, August 6
Guest blogging at Literarily Speaking
Interviewed at Pump Up Your Book
Monday, August 9
Interviewed at Blogcritics
Tuesday, August 10
Guest blogging at A Fanatic’s Book Blog
Guest blogging at The Bookish Type
Wednesday, August 11
Guest blogging at The Writer’s Life
Book reviewed at A Fanatic’s Book Blog
Book reviewed at The Bookish Type
Thursday, August 12
Guest blogging at The Book Boost
Friday, August 13
Guest blogging at Literarily Speaking
Monday, August 16
Guest blogging at Beyond the Books
Guest blogging at Life in the First Draft
Tuesday, August 17
Book reviewed at Chaotic Book Obsession
Wednesday, August 18
Book reviewed at Marta’s Meanderings
Book reviewed at Marilyn’s Musings
Thursday, August 19
Interviewed at Personovelty
Book reviewed at YA Reads
Friday, August 20
Interviewed at Examiner
Monday, August 23
Interviewed at The Writer’s Life
Book reviewed at Books R Us
Tuesday, August 24
Interviewed at Book Marketing Buzz
Book reviewed at What Should I Read Now
Wednesday, August 25
Interviewed on A Book and a Chat Radio Show
Book reviewed at Mom’s Not All
Thursday, August 26
Book reviewed at Minding Spot
Interviewed at The Hot Author Report
Friday, August 27
Book reviewed by Proud Book Nerd
Book reviewed by Wondrous Reviews
Monday, August 2
Book spotlighted at Examiner
Tuesday, August 3
Interviewed at Review From Here
Wednesday, August 4
Interviewed at As the Pages Turn
Book spotlighted at Between the Covers
Thursday, August 5
Interviewed at Literarily Speaking
Friday, August 6
Guest blogging at Literarily Speaking
Interviewed at Pump Up Your Book
Monday, August 9
Interviewed at Blogcritics
Tuesday, August 10
Guest blogging at A Fanatic’s Book Blog
Guest blogging at The Bookish Type
Wednesday, August 11
Guest blogging at The Writer’s Life
Book reviewed at A Fanatic’s Book Blog
Book reviewed at The Bookish Type
Thursday, August 12
Guest blogging at The Book Boost
Friday, August 13
Guest blogging at Literarily Speaking
Monday, August 16
Guest blogging at Beyond the Books
Guest blogging at Life in the First Draft
Tuesday, August 17
Book reviewed at Chaotic Book Obsession
Wednesday, August 18
Book reviewed at Marta’s Meanderings
Book reviewed at Marilyn’s Musings
Thursday, August 19
Interviewed at Personovelty
Book reviewed at YA Reads
Friday, August 20
Interviewed at Examiner
Monday, August 23
Interviewed at The Writer’s Life
Book reviewed at Books R Us
Tuesday, August 24
Interviewed at Book Marketing Buzz
Book reviewed at What Should I Read Now
Wednesday, August 25
Interviewed on A Book and a Chat Radio Show
Book reviewed at Mom’s Not All
Thursday, August 26
Book reviewed at Minding Spot
Interviewed at The Hot Author Report
Friday, August 27
Book reviewed by Proud Book Nerd
Book reviewed by Wondrous Reviews
banner bar

Crossed Out 2


Digg! Add to Technorati Favoritesby

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.
Every year we lose more people to AIDS. It hasn't disappeared and it's not going away anytime soon. I urge you to seek out and support your local AIDS Organizations. Encourage everyone you know to practice safe sex and to get tested once a year. Even if you don't think you are at risk, get tested. I didn't think I was at risk either, and I almost died before I was diagnosed.
Blog Directory

Followers

Grab My Badge!

Grab My Badge!

Blog Archive


Would You Like To Be Added To My Blogroll? Email Me!

Stop AIDS

Stop AIDS
Stop AIDS in the US

Ratings by outbrain

Blog Roll

www.momcentral.com

Smart Solutions for Everyday Moms

Protected by Copyscape Original Content Checker
As Featured On EzineArticles
Blogcritics: news and reviews
Custom Search

I'm #2395

Creative Commons License Marta's Meanderings by Marta Hoelscher is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
blog search directory
Get Free Shots from Snap.com

Subscribe to my blog!

Subscribe to Marta's Meanderings

Twitter Button from twitbuttons.com TweetIt from HubSpot

PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS

I'd be happy to review your book. I post at many locations in addition to here on my blog. Please CONTACT me with any questions or concerns. I'll look forward to hearing from you!


web statistic

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Alltop. How the hell did that happen?

Flickr Images