Review for "Ravens" by George Dawes Green

5:00 PM

Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing (July 15, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0446538965
ISBN-13: 978-0446538961

Description
The Boatwrights just won 318 million dollars in the Georgia State lottery. It's going to be the worst day of their lives.

When Shaw McBride and Romeo Zderko pull up at a convenience store off I-95 in Georgia, their only thought is to fix a leaky tire and be on their way again to Florida-away from their dull Ohio tech-support jobs. But this happens to be the store from which a 318,000,000 million dollar Jackpot ticket has just been sold -- and when a pretty clerk accidentally reveals to Shaw the identity of the winning family, he hatches a ferociously audacious scheme: He and Romeo will squeeze the family for half their prize.

That night, he visits the Boatwright home and takes the family hostage, while Romeo patrols the streets nearby, prepared to murder the Boatwrights' loved ones at any sign of resistance. At first, the family offers none. But Shaw's plot depends on maintaining constant fear-merciless, unfaltering terror-and soon, under the pressure, everyone's sanity begins to unravel . . .

At once frightening, comic, and suspenseful, RAVENS is a wholly original and utterly compelling novel from one of our most talented writers.

I Need A Copy! Where Can I Get It?

Review
I really enjoyed this very different novel. All of the Ohio mentions really had me wondering whether the author was from Ohio or had been here, so that's one of my goals to figure out!

This novel was kind of dark, but don't let that scare you. The book is about these two men from Ohio who really get caught up in their scheme to steal part of a jackpot won by the Boatwright family. One of them spends his time cruising around town and slowly starting to lose it because of what he's supposed to do. The other starts to see himself as a modern day messiah, and starts to believe his BS.

I liked the psychological part of the story. It was interesting to see how the Boatwright family started to really believe that their captor was good and messiah like. But I also found myself not feeling very sorry for them. The father especially wasn't very appealing when he never made a move to really defend his family. But I think that was the beauty of the book - that you found yourself liking the bad guy more than the prisoners.

I'd give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I'd like to thank Hachette Book Group for sending me a copy of the book to review.


Digg!
Add to Technorati Favorites

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.
Every year we lose more people to AIDS. It hasn't disappeared and it's not going away anytime soon. I urge you to seek out and support your local AIDS Organizations. Encourage everyone you know to practice safe sex and to get tested once a year. Even if you don't think you are at risk, get tested. I didn't think I was at risk either, and I almost died before I was diagnosed.
Blog Directory

Followers

Grab My Badge!

Grab My Badge!

Blog Archive


Would You Like To Be Added To My Blogroll? Email Me!

Stop AIDS

Stop AIDS
Stop AIDS in the US

Ratings by outbrain

Blog Roll

www.momcentral.com

Smart Solutions for Everyday Moms

Protected by Copyscape Original Content Checker
As Featured On EzineArticles
Blogcritics: news and reviews
Custom Search

I'm #2395

Creative Commons License Marta's Meanderings by Marta Hoelscher is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
blog search directory
Get Free Shots from Snap.com

Subscribe to my blog!

Subscribe to Marta's Meanderings

Twitter Button from twitbuttons.com TweetIt from HubSpot

PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS

I'd be happy to review your book. I post at many locations in addition to here on my blog. Please CONTACT me with any questions or concerns. I'll look forward to hearing from you!


web statistic

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Alltop. How the hell did that happen?

Flickr Images