Sandra Gulland, author of "Mistress of the Sun" is guest blogging today!

7:48 AM

The ups and downs of historical research

Becoming a historical novelist entails a great deal of research — love of research is perhaps the first important requirement. There are tremendous benefits: one can justify the purchase of quite a few books, for example. One of my favorite Sunday morning activities is "cruising" the on-line shops, looking for bargains, and ordering a hand-full of books. Then, of course, there is the pleasure of receiving the packages in the mail: it's like a birthday, every day.

And then, of course, there is the pleasure of reading these books. Some excite me so greatly I dare not read them before bedtime. (I've made it a rule not to read a book before sleep that sends me scrambling for notepaper and a highlighter.)

But there are down-sides, serious down-sides, to historical research. One is simply technical: recording notes onto computer can take a very long time, and I tend to put it off.

But the most serious down-side of doing research is that I can no longer watch a historical movie or read a novel set in the period I'm researching without grumbling: "What's she doing in the market without a hair-covering?" "The Queen would never have sat on the floor with a valet!" "But Madame de Maintenon never invited people to her house (while in charge of the King's bastard babies)." And so forth . . .

I think the problem is that I (or anyone in my position) form a fantasy, a dream, from what I read – and when confronted with a different interpretation, it's not only annoying, it can make me quite angry.

Here is a list of historical novels I adore and admire.

* A Walk with Love and Death, by Hans Koning

* Coal Black Horse, by Robert Olmstead

* Conceit, by Mary Novik

* Enemy Women, by Paulette Jiles

* Music & Silence, by Rose Tremain

* Santa Evita, by Tomas Eloy Martinez

* The Blue Flower, by Penelope Fitzgerald

* The Boys in the Trees, by Mary Swan

* The Ghost of Monsieur Scarron, by Janet Lewis

* The Hummingbird's Daughter, by Luis Alberto Urrea

* Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen

* Year of Wonders; a Novel of the Plague, by Geraldine Brooks

Note that only one of these novels — The Ghost of Monsieur Scarron — is set during the Court of the Sun King. However, the world of this (wonderful) novel, is entirely of the working class — not of the Court, and so I could read it with delight . . . and without my mental editor protesting.

I will continue to persevere, however. Suggestions welcome!


Glitter Text Generator

Digg!
Add to Technorati Favorites

You Might Also Like

4 comments

Powered by Blogger.
Every year we lose more people to AIDS. It hasn't disappeared and it's not going away anytime soon. I urge you to seek out and support your local AIDS Organizations. Encourage everyone you know to practice safe sex and to get tested once a year. Even if you don't think you are at risk, get tested. I didn't think I was at risk either, and I almost died before I was diagnosed.
Blog Directory

Followers

Grab My Badge!

Grab My Badge!

Blog Archive


Would You Like To Be Added To My Blogroll? Email Me!

Stop AIDS

Stop AIDS
Stop AIDS in the US

Ratings by outbrain

Blog Roll

www.momcentral.com

Smart Solutions for Everyday Moms

Protected by Copyscape Original Content Checker
As Featured On EzineArticles
Blogcritics: news and reviews
Custom Search

I'm #2395

Creative Commons License Marta's Meanderings by Marta Hoelscher is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
blog search directory
Get Free Shots from Snap.com

Subscribe to my blog!

Subscribe to Marta's Meanderings

Twitter Button from twitbuttons.com TweetIt from HubSpot

PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS

I'd be happy to review your book. I post at many locations in addition to here on my blog. Please CONTACT me with any questions or concerns. I'll look forward to hearing from you!


web statistic

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Alltop. How the hell did that happen?

Flickr Images